Blog post #2 - Instagram for 13 and Under
After reading the article on BuzzFeed.news "Facebook Is Building An Instagram For Kids Under The Age Of 13," I think making a whole new platform just for kids is unnecessary as well as unsafe. Although they may have good intentions with making this new platform for kids I believe that this gives predators easy access to the accounts of younger ages and puts the kids at risk. On top of that but this will also get kids to grow up attached to a screen as we all know how addicting social media can be.
I can see the good intentions of this as the creators want the kids to be safe online but in my opinion, I do not think kids that young of age should even have social media so they should not make a whole new platform just for them. If kids want to message their friends online they should use a much safer option or even just message them with parent supervision to ensure their safety.
I agree with the age restrictions on social media, there can be weird things that get posted and it does not always get taken down. On top of that but there can also be violent or dangerous things posted. Exposing younger eyes to content that can be sensitive to them is not a good thing at all, which is why I believe the age restrictions on social media is necessary.
I did not have many social media when I was under the age of 13, I only had an Instagram account but I did not use it much until I was 12-13. Aside from Instagram, I went on other social platforms when I was 14 or over, mostly because I was scared of what would happen if I had an account under 13 and because I did not really need an account on any other platform.
Comments
Post a Comment